Friday, April 17, 2009

Oh the times, they are a changin'

This past Tuesday I competed my final shadow shift for KOMU. Now all I have to do is complete my edit test and I'll be ready to begin reporting! My final shadow shift was spent working with the Tuesday 10 p.m. producer, Beth Ford. I realized after this shift, that I have absolutely no desire to be a producer! Although I did enjoy assisting Beth, sitting in the newsroom does not satisfy my craving to go out and chase a story. I find that I feel an extreme sense of accomplishment after shooting video, conducting interviews then putting it all together. 

As I was enjoying this lovely Friday morning, sitting on my couch watching the Today Show, I found particular interest in one particular story. The story of senior interns focused on former big-wigs in the publishing industry, who are now unpaid interns. These people were making triple-digit salaries, and practically had it made, but lost their jobs in light of the declining industry and troubling economy. 

This story took an interesting angle on what people who are out of jobs are now doing to get ahead and up to speed with the times. It touched a little light on how the younger generation has much more experience with various facets of technology, and that is one thing these particular internships focus on. I would love to see more stories like this. We hear too often about newspapers collapsing, anchors being laid off, and countless others. But what happens after these journalists lose their jobs?

Could you imagine being a 50-year-old intern? In the words of one of my favorite singers and songwriters, Bob Dylan, "Oh the times, they are a-changin'."

No comments:

Post a Comment