Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm Alive...but my blog doesn't know it

Hi Friends,

So, obviously bloggity blogging has been on the back burner the past 6 months. In an effort to catch everyone up on my journalism and traveling adventures (because I know everyone and their pet iguana must be wondering what in the world I've been up to...) I'm simply going to post some links to stories, and find an appropriate montage of photos to document those months lost.

KOMU was an interesting experience last semester. I was GA reporting once a week, and turning a story each day. By that I mean I was at the station by 7:30 am, dragged a camera and tripod throughout Mid-Missouri, back to the station by 3 p.m., then wrote and edited pieces for the 5, 6, and 10 p.m. newscasts. Note that I never mentioned food in that lineup. Food was also on the back burner, well, at least on Tuesdays. But I digress...

You can see some of my stories by visiting KOMU.com or checking out my Vimeo page. I certainly have many more stories to upload, but if you must get your Abby fix right now, feel free to creep - I welcome it! Although it seems like I was depreciating the reporting process in the last paragraph, quite frankly I did enjoy it. I had many Monday nights where my stomach was in knots while trying to come up with enterprise story ideas and thinking about the stress I would encounter the next day, but each Tuesday when I returned to my humble abode, I felt so accomplished, and was happy upon reflection of who I met that day, what I learned, etc. So, essentially my day side "backpack journalism" experience was indeed a fine one.

I'm still at KOMU each week this semester. I'm currently doing live reporting for the Tuesday morning show (surprisingly love, love, love the morning show - even though we've had some ENG issues...) and anchoring the World View segment of the 10 p.m. newscast each Friday night. I'll try to keep updated posts about my ventures this semester.

I'm still kicking it at the State Capitol, reporting for KMOX and Missouri Digital News. I started reporting there almost three years ago (wow, I'm getting too old for this place) Last semester I didn't report often, but rather managed the newsroom and imparted wisdom on younger reporters (at least I'd like to think that). During the 2010 Legislative Session, I decided to take on a new job as the Producer for the weekly PBS segment "Jeff City Journal." I'm thoroughly enjoying it thus far. I love working with the host, Missy Shelton, and having that kind of responsibility. Though it is sometimes stressful (but what isn't these days?) it's worth every increased heart rate and bead of sweat on my brow. I could definitely see myself doing something like this for the long run.

So, yeah. That pretty much sums up most of my professional career. As for traveling and other totally random adventures - well, lets just say I'm missing the ability to jetset to Grecian Islands. I did manage to get my beach fix over winter break. I visited Los Angeles with my boyfriend, Ryan (duh, I'm def dating a Cali boy). I met his family, went to Disneyland, golfed and, of course, played in the waves one afternoon. So here are some fun pics...




Sidenote: I'm competing in pageants again! I'll be in my first competition this Sunday - Miss Audrain. I'm super nervous because I haven't competed in nearly two years. But this is definitely part of my "life plan" so I'm diving in.

That's all for now, and hopefully there will be more entertaining, relevant posts to come in the near future, as this one most certainly fails to meet both of those criterion.

To catching up and showing my bloggity-blog some love,
Ag

No comments:

Post a Comment