Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The frustrations of Journalism

Over the past two weeks, I spent every spare minute of my time working on my first package for Broadcast 2. I encountered more obstacles than anything else, but can honestly say I made it!

Choosing a story proved to be the easiest part of my quest. I am very interested in political reporting and agriculture. So naturally, I picked up a story about a new piece of legislation that concerns the agriculture industry.

Jackson County Republican Senator Matt Bartle sponsored Senate Bill 11, which would lift the requirement that all Missouri gas stations carry ethanol-blended fuel. The bill jumped out at me because I am familiar with Bartle's platforms, and the ideals of this bill didn't seem to resonate with his usual legislation. 

I decided this is a great story for viewers because it affects everyone who has a vehicle, as well as the farmers who provide the corn used in ethanol.

I spoke with Sen. Bartle as well as a Kingdom City Farmer, Fred Atkinson. He too, was surprised to hear Sen. Bartle sponsored this piece of legislation because Bartle comes from an agriculture background. Mr. Atkinson provided very colorful soundbytes and definitely humanized my story. I walked around his farm - shooting video of various aspects of his operation. 

We had a second chance to re-shoot video, which I definitely needed to do. However, nothing worked out for me this week. First of all, I couldn't meet with Mr. Atkinson due to scheduling conflicts, and because I have to attend an earlier lab session this week, I am not able to re-shoot video at the second hearing of the bill.

Regardless of the less-than-perfect package I produced, I must say I am glad to see my work come together. The story provides an insightful look on what normally may be a boring political story with "BOPSA" video. But through the things I learned in the course thus far, I took the story to a level that people can now relate to.


No comments:

Post a Comment