Thursday, June 25, 2009

Just when you think it can't get any worse...

So here's how my day started:

I fell asleep last night before setting my alarm. At 7:30 I shoot up and realize I have GOT to get moving in order to get to work on time. But, I cannot start getting ready because the shower is already in use (imagine having 5 girls sharing one itsy bitsy bathroom, who all have to be at work around the same time - not fun!). I usually avoid this problem by getting up before everyone, but clearly this didn't happen because of my first omen of the morning. So once I do get into the shower, BAM there is no hot water. And, I don't mean it was warm and steadily got colder, there was no water coming out of the faucet when I turned the knob for the hot. Grrrrr. 

The rest of my "getting ready" went the same. Couldn't find anything to wear, hair was terrible, etc etc. Typical girl complaints, I know. I leave the flat around 8:40 and head to the tube station. I wait for my train, which didn't take long. However, once I was on the tube it kept stopping - and not at regular stops either. Every time we stopped came the voice of the silly British Lady who makes announcements in a robotic tone explaining that we were at a red light and would be moving shortly. Wait, the tubes get stuck at red lights, too? Grrrrrrr.

I finally make it off the musty tube and walk to CBS. At this point I'm thinking that this is going to be a long day. It's Thursday, I'm going to be late and all I really can think about it my flight to Greece that leaves at 10 p.m. tonight. A perfect formula for a slow day. It can't get any worse, right?

Normally, with my luck this would be false. My day would be terrible, horrible, no good and VERY bad. Fortunately, Claire, my assignment editor piped up when I walked in and said, "Do you want to go out on a shot for some NFL people?"

"DUH!" Well, I didn't quite say that, but enthusiastically obliged. Within 15 minutes I was off to go interview Robert Kraft. No, no relation to Kraft Foods, but rather, the owner of the New England Patriots. Even better, the interview was at the famous Berkeley Hotel. I will post details about why we were interviewing him and my experience when I have more time later, but to get to my second highlight of the day...

As we were heading outside with Mr. Kraft to go shoot some B-roll of him walking the streets of London, he stops and starts talking to someone. I wasn't really paying attention because I was lugging gear around. But then I took a better look, and who did I see standing two feet away from me? James Taylor!! Ahhhhhhhh. My first legit star sighting in London. So cool!

Also, kind of cool and random, while we were outside shooting video everyone was stopping what they were doing to stare at all of us. I think they thought they were going to get on TV. It made me feel semi-important :). Some people also stopped and wanted to talk to Mr. Kraft and they were actually from St. Louis. Small world eh? 

Finally, to top off my interesting turn of events, we were in the area where I live, so our driver drove me to 40 Hogarth and bid me farewell for the weekend. Off work at 2:00 and it's 75 and sunny. Fabulous!

Now, I'm going to finish getting ready for our flight to Greece. T-minus 3.5 hours!!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment