Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"Real World" Journalism

As my loyal followers have probably read, I went on a shoot last week to interview Robert Kraft. The dirt on this shoot: Kraft was in London promoting the NFL's move to schedule a regular season game in London each year - in which the N.E. Patriots will play. Kraft showed us the Jersey Sir Elton agreed to wear during his appearance at the game. Also cool that I was able to see the championship ring up close and personal. Can I say BLING BLING?

While in Greece this weekend, we randomly heard the news of MJ's death. At first we actually doubted our fellow American news bearers. After all - how would this news be discovered on some remote island? But a phone call later from my mother confirmed the rumors.

On Tuesday were doing 3 different interviews with Quincy Jones, who is responsible for jump starting MJ's solo career. We were setting up a "Live" interview with Harry Smith, and filming interviews covering two different topics for 48 Hours and 60 Minutes.

Mr. Jones was phenomenal. He was very warm and kind, and even when asked the toughest questions that he specifically said he did not want to discuss, he was graceful in his objections. It was amazing to me - being in the presence of a man who had such an influence on the music industry, and particularly hearing his experiences in crafting the pop star we were all mourning.

Here's the clip that aired yesterday morning. Though it cuts off at the end, just when it was getting to the best part...


Watch CBS Videos Online


At one point when we were in between interviews, he and the photographer (a nice Scott Lad, Andy Stephenson) began discussing world travels. This man is SO educated and knowledgeable about the world - he's brilliant. But the most humorous part of the discussion revolved around Haggis, where Andy kindly revealed the "non tourist" explanation of what the Scottish dish actually is. Needless to say, if I travel there, I will NEVER - I repeat NEVER try it. I will trust Quincy's observation that it is indeed, horrible.

I won't say much else about the interview for the entire world to read, but I will be willing to share my insights with friends if interested. I will, however mention one quote I found particularly beautiful. Quincy was talking about his own childhood, and how many parts of it mirrored Michael's. He was talking about how he grew up in a very dodgy area.

Basically he said the problem with many people (and perhaps MJ) is that they are ultimately a product of their own environment. He was around guns and violence and that's what he wanted - to be a gangster. He paused and said,

"Thank God I ended up finding a piano."

Yes Mr. Jones, thank God. And thank you for sharing all of your wonderful musical gifts with the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment