Thursday, July 16, 2009

Random London Thoughts on a Rainy Night

Lately, I feel it's been a constant battle against Flat 5. Every morning begins with a guessing game of whether our shower will be scalding hot or freezing cold, whether I'll hit the hair dryer rotation just right, or whether or not I'll get to the bottom of 6-1/2 flights of stairs and realize I've forgotten something.

To say the least, living in such close quarters (and in such undesirable conditions) has definitely taken it's toll on each of us in Flat 5. And I must admit that I have voiced complaints to my other flatmates, my mother and the extremely tolerant IE staff. But it's nights like tonight that I realize how much I will miss living here - uneven floors included.

It's hard to imagine not hearing the sound of the tube running behind our flat, sharing food so we can manage to fit a days worth of groceries in our fridge, and the frequent pitter patter of the rain on our cracked "skylight."

In three and a half weeks, these will all be mere afterthoughts of my amazing summer in London. It's only now that I realize these tiny annoyances are actually elements to appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment