Monday, July 20, 2009

London Adventures, Cont'd: Prom, Parliament, Markets, Museums and Movies

With only two weeks remaining (tears leak from eye), I've been trying to check off everything from my London to-do list. I, along with my flatmates decided early last week that we would make the next couple of weekends as eventful as possible, and so far, it's been a great success.

My work was slow last week. But the London highlights began on Wednesday on the opening day of Harry Potter 6: The Half-Blood Prince. We had booked tickets from a link one of the other CBS interns had sent me, but it wasn't until Tuesday that we realized we booked tickets for a theater in Leister, England instead of Leister Square in London. Double sadface. But, thankfully we were able to find a theater nearby that wasn't sold out! I had been anticipating seeing the film in London ever since I learned I would be here for the summer - and it was so exciting to see HP6 in the place where it is actually set. And, it was equally as exciting to see familiar scenes in the opening of the film.
Our weekend adventures started with a birthday celebration on Friday. Carla turned 22! I made cupcakes (fairy cakes) and Rachel and I decorated our flat with posters (OK, we scribbled on pieces of notebook paper) and surprised Carla when she returned home. I also had more fun in the kitchen later that evening preparing a Fiesta for all of us, and two of Carla's friends who are also part of the MLP. I'm not going to lie, I definitely reenacted an episode of "Iron Chef" just like my sister and I often do at home. But this time Rachel played the part of sous chef. She was brilliant. But I think everyone else was slightly confused by my stadium kitchen references.
After traveling through the monsoon, we arrived at the Royal Albert Hall for the opening night of the BBC Proms. 
We were all entertained with beautiful orchestra music, and even got to hear two pieces featuring piano (was sooo excited). My favourite performance of the night was two girls who played the piano together. Again, reminded me of my sister. After the concert, four of us headed to the Waxy O'Connor for a low key night of birthday celebration.

On Saturday, April and I headed to the National Portrait Gallery. It was definitely more impressive than I thought I would be. But I confirmed the fact that 1500s paintings of British Nobles just doesn't stimulate me. We had all intentions of visiting Tate Britain, but due to a tube closure on the Victoria Line (Insert April's witty remark here) we decided to hit up Harrod's.
Located in one of London's poshest areas, Knightsbridge, Harrods is 6 floors of utter ridiculousness. They have everything from Prada to Peanuts, Tiffany's to Tea. Although I did imagine that the people inside would be the "poshest of them all" we seemed to fit right in. Our only purchase (and frankly probably the only thing we could afford) was two pieces of cheesecake. That night, we tried to go see "My Sister's Keeper" in some random place south of the river, but proved utterly unsuccessful. Quote from the night by muah, "Oh we're getting close!" April, "Really?" Me, "Well, this stop starts with a 'W'" We were trying to get to Wandsworth, but gave up upon seeing the golden arches at Tooting Broadway. Needless to say, that was the most expensive McDonald's trip I've ever experienced in my life.

Sunday could be titled "April and Abby's day of Weird Looks." We started with a visit to Brick Lane. 
After going through the "grocery" part and buying a bucket of apples for a pound, we found some other interesting areas. Upside-down baby dolls, anyone?

My great find of the day was John Lennon's "Walls and Bridges" album. The record is in great shape and it was the complete package. I am thrilled I have some new posters to add to my collection.

After failed attempts at trying Indian food, April and I went to the South Bank to visit the Design Museum. After having a difficult time finding it, and some questionable exhibits, we decided on heading to Leister Square for Starbucks, an apple, and the movie we had missed the night before. Starbucks was a success, minus the fizzy water I bought on accident and our bag of apples breaking a rolling everywhere. The movie was also great. Although, if you've read the book, you're in for some surprises. As April said it best, "I'm sure Jodi Picoult is out there somewhere, really pissed off right now."

The Reubster gave us the day off from class Monday, so I tackled some more items. First was Tate Britain. It had some great contemporary galleries, and tons of historic British Paintings. I really enjoyed one of their special exhibits where the artist used random newspapers he found and turned the pictures from the articles into fabulous landscapes.

After that I was off for my special seat in Parliament. I had emailed my local MP, Sir Malcolm Rifkind and as a "resident" I was granted a reserved seat without waiting in the queue. It was so interesting to see the differences between the ins and outs of this government compared to what I've covered back home. In British Parliament there is a lot more glamour that would you would see. There was a grand procession for the speaker to enter into the House of Commons, and you won't see any MPs wearing bolos - the doormen all wear Tuxes. Everything seemed a lot more structured as well. Everyone knew what was going on, when someone had the floor or was making an inquiry, EVERYONE was listening. However, humor was evident just as in the chambers of the Missouri statehouse. I guess in politics you have to make some moments lighthearted in order to survive grueling sessions.

Topics of debate yesterday included the switch from analog to DTV, the 2012 Olympics and Swine Flu. British Health Secretary Andy Burnham made a huge announcement during the session. The NHS is launching a new website and hot line for swine flu. It sparked inquires for more than an hour, and however stimulating it was, I decided an hour of hearing advice on how to prevent getting the virus was enough. It was bringing back many memories of the day I attended Gov. Nixon's press conference when we learned of the first case in Missouri. He mentioned how it was OK to "go home and eat pork steak for dinner." Oh the joys of covering MO govt.

It's looking to be another low key week, filled with lots of London weather, movies from Maggie's work, and other TRLA's.

No comments:

Post a Comment