Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oopah! My Big Fat Greek Getaway

Can I just say the word MAGICAL? Yes, my friends, Greece was indeed magical. In short there was a good mixture of good and bad experiences, but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. 

The Good:  
  • Flights:  B-e-a-u-tiful scenes flying in to Mykonos. The sun was rising, and we were on a very small jet, with Chocolate Croissants to boot. 
  • Cab rides:  We finally settled on taking a cab, and once we all piled in the back seat literally sitting on each other's laps, we began our Nascar-like excursion to Paradise Beach. Our driver pumped up the volume on our favourite European techno dance music, and went faster and faster as we went through the narrow winding roads. Do I need to mention again that this was around 7 a.m.? 
  • Paradise Beach - crystal clear blue water, SUN, beautiful men, diving off rocks and beachy drinks (peach juice, anyone?)
  • Gyro Pitas:  Only 2.50 euro and legit Greek cuisine. Filling too. The man who made them told me every day, "I will make it special, just for you." 
  • My girls:  A weekend with my girls Maggie, Rachel and April was much needed. We all know how to have fun, and spending several days relaxing on the beach was incredible. 
  • The Acropolis (ακρόπολη):  OK, I'm a huge Greek mythology nerd, so it was so satisfying to finally see this place. Again - MAGICAL. We rolled into Athens late on Sunday night and were able to see the Parthenon lit up. The next day we hiked to the top (sweat, anyone?) and ventured around. Although there was a ton of construction, it was everything I dreamed it would be. 
The bad:
  • Flights:  on our first layover in Athens, we had to check in again - only to experience people butting in line, prompting cursing all around us. If I knew any Greek swear words I probably would've joined in. 
  • Cab ride:  Albeit it was a blast, but I was definitely clutching on to the back seat for dear life. A tad scary. 
  • Paradise Beach:  Cold water, Men who know they're beautiful (uh hem, silly lifeguard doing pull-ups in front of everyone like it's in his job description), cuts on my feet from the reefs.
  • Gyro Pitas:  OK, we ate these freakin' things every day. Yeah, they're amazing and cheap, but can a girl get some real food here (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and have questionable ingredients?)
  • Acropolis:  I'm not sure if it is always that crowded, but when we were going through the Propylaea, I was pushed and touched by hundreds of sweaty, hairy tourists. Ahh it was still worth it though. 
The Experience as a whole:  
  • Paradise Beach:  amazing, but it definitely took an open mind. Between our "cabins," Italian men wearing diapers, and some obscene behaviour, I don't think it would be ideal for everyone. But I thought it made the weekend one of the best in my life. 
  • Athens in general:  We stayed in a horrible part of the city (where the cops even made me feel unsafe), we went to the wrong hotel (who knew there was a difference between the "Amyrillis Hotel" and the "Amyrillis Hotel Inn?" I also had an interesting personal experience on the Metro (perhaps the most uncomfortable moment of my life). But when considering all the history and amazing things I was able to see, it was again, an experience that makes the weekend one of the best in my life. 
  • Cats: EVERYWHERE! Seriously, the Greeks would do well to take Bob Barker's advice. I can't tell you how many times we sat down to eat, then POOF there's a stray feline begging for your scraps. Nasty. 
 MEOW

So, after writing that, I hope I don't sound too cynical in many of the aspects of the trip. I'm merely trying to get a laugh out of our more "interesting" experiences. But overall, the time in Greece was too short, and I only hope that some day I can return!

No comments:

Post a Comment