Monday, July 6, 2009

Yeah, I'm proud to be an American

Most of my flatmates were out of the country on the weekend of the 4th, but Carla and I enjoyed beautiful weather and good company in Londontown. I was definitely feeling a little homesick on Saturday - since each year the 4th is usually a time when my entire family gets together and enjoys fireworks and bbq, but thankfully the beautiful weather and new friends made the holiday in London one to remember.

I actually spent the day exploring Piccidilly Circus and Soho. I randomly stumbled upon a huge Gay Pride parade. When I popped out of the tube station I definitely was not expecting to see a party in Piccidilly. There were thousands of people, drag queens and apparrently By George even made an appearance.

I took quite a few pics with my Cannon 35 mm. Hopefully those will turn out!







After all that mayhem, I decided to walk along the South Bank. I went from Parliament all the way to Tower Bridge.








Then it was time to show off my American pride.

I met with Carla in Green Park to join friends she met in Ireland the week before. Although our plans to BBQ were shut down by a "rent a cop" park patrolman (500 pound fine for open flames in the park? I think not). But it didn't but a damper on our celebration. We still enjoyed burgers (from the inside grill) and even a flag cake - just like the one we make every year at home! I was pretty excited.

We decided to pay a visit to the Waxy O'Connor, a bar near Piccidilly. They were having an American night - complete with fiddle players, american flag balloons, and lots of ABBA and MJ music. Of course, I carried my mini American flag around with me all night. Yeah, I'm proud :)

No comments:

Post a Comment