Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Just Touched Down in London-Town


I'm studying in abroad over the summer in London, England. I arrived early Monday morning, and it has been a whirlwind since then! The first day was spent moving two 50lb suitcases up six flights of stairs to my flat, finding my way around SW Kensington to Imperial College and "mingling with the locals and canoodling with the natives" at nearby pubs.

A quick word about our flat. It's very drab, but at the same time I
 love it. We did not have hot water for an entire day, our smoke alarm goes off regularly, the floors are dirty and creak, the train rolls by at all hours. But it's "FAB." And, I feel like I'm going to get along with my roommates which will definitely make for a great summer. 

My first meal was fish and chips, of course. This was at the Imperial College student union. I haven't quite decided how I feel about the food here. I went with two of my roommates to an Italian restaurant, De Mario, where we shared bruschetta and a margarita pizza. Delecioso! 

Today we went on a guided bus tour of the city. We saw all of the touristy places, and had wonderful narration by our guide, Trudy. What a doll. Driving around our neighborhood she said, "Can't you just smell how posh this is." She also used many phrases throughout the trip including, but not limited to "That's brill," "Here love babies," and "Thanks a Mill." I am looking forward to her presence on our trip to Oxford this weekend!

We were able to step out for a bit and I snapped this picture of Westminster Abbey. I will definitely be returning soon, because we were only able to stay for abo
ut 5 mins. 

After the bus tour we were dropped off and I wandered around with some friends. We went to the National Gallery where I saw "Sunflowers" by Vincent VanGough! I got goosebumps, it was absolutely amazing to see the painting in person that I've spent so much time studying! After our quick visit there we went to Pickadilly Circus. This is where I felt like I was in the "big city" for the first time. I also took my first trip on the tube. 

Our night concluded with meeting two French men who offered to give us a tour of Paris this summer (pish posh) and some other American students studying here from Ohio. 

I will be posting some of my early pictures later...but at the mo. I'm off to bed. We have another early morning tomorrow, and I want to get plenty of rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment