Thursday, May 14, 2009

MO Legislature's final week

This is perhaps the craziest week of my semester!! It has been spent running around Columbia...packing, moving, studying, reporting and saying goodbye to all of my friends.

My number one priority has been reporting for KOMU covering the Missouri Legislature's final week in session. Their top priorities as of Monday were health care, education and tax credits for small businesses. On Monday I did a preview of the upcoming week. I spoke with House Minority Floor Leader Paul Levota (D) Independence, as well as Senate President Pro-Tem Charlie Shields (R) Kansas City. I was not able to get a lot of visuals for the story, so as you will see I did an on-set in the new studio! I was an awesome experience and I cannot wait to do more!

My reporting shift Wednesday was also spent at the State Capitol, this time focusing specifically on what was going on in the afternoon and evening sessions. The health care bill was still on the top of the agenda, and the education bill was shut down by the house the night before. However, there were rumors that the abortion bill was to come up in the Senate that night, so I ended up doing a small preview of that bill as well. The senate did end up passing the abortion bill around 12:00 a.m. Thursday morning. However, it was passed without the coercion component, which made the bill unique in the first place. My story ended up being another onset, covering various measures that were addressed on Wednesday. I will admit I was slightly disappointed at the low-key environment at the capitol that day. 

I off to finish studying for my final exams, wish me luck! I will try to do a preview of my trip to London. Visit often to get updates during my summer abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment