Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lesson Learned: Use the Buddy System

It only takes one screw up to realize you should have listened to your mother.

Today was a b-e-a-u-tiful day in London. The locals say we are so lucky because it is extremely rare to experience a summer day with out "brellies." After spending most of the day in orientations and meetings, and a quick clean-up of the flat, I decided to go outside and enjoy it. It was just me and my camera off for an excellent adventure. 

I walked to Westminster Cemetery, which is just past Earl's Court. It's absolutely gorgeous, very peaceful and the lighting provided some opportune moments for some photos. I used my "old school cannon" which uses film (I know, it's ancient, but I love it. Will post some once I get them developed). I had a great time, and after spending an hour or so walking around I decided to head back home. I decided to take an alternate route to see some new scenery. 

BAD IDEA. 
After walking past Earl's courts one and two, and speed walking through some sketchy territory I realized I had no idea where I was. Me, being much to confident in my navigation abilities, continued to walk about, trying to get my bearings and find my way home. About 10 miles later I decided to phone one of my roommates who then guided me home via Google maps. Whew...it was a relief to find W. Cromwell road once again. 

Needless to say my legs are rather tired this evening. And, I learned the hard way that I should not venture off on my own, at least without a map in hand, until I've become more established in this city. I definitely should have listened to my mother's advice! You live and learn, I suppose. 

Sidenotes:  
Tomorrow I find out where I will be interviewing for my summer internship! I'm feeling slightly anxious...I'm just hoping I will be placed somewhere that will provide me with good experience. We were also all excited to find out that this coming Monday is a "bank holliday" which in turn gives us a day off! We have been in the process of making some weekend travel plans. It's looking like we're doing a day trip to Oxford on Saturday, and perhaps seeing the "Cheese Rolling Festival" in Gloucestershire on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment